Saturday, November 5, 2011

Portfolio # 10

As a tutor, I have seen the impacts of the education system. It is unsettling to work with so many college students who have trouble with basic reading comprehension, phonics, spelling, and grammar. I am not an expert in the English language, by far, but I take great pride in my ability to read and write well. A difference between me and some of my students is how we were taught to read. I was taught by my Mother since I was homeschooled for Kindergarten, most other students learned to read in school. The methods that my Mother used and the curriculum of some teachers differed greatly. I see a great need for the development of a reading curriculum that teaches students how to read so that when they do enter college, they have been practicing and perfecting their skills. Reforming the approach we take to teaching students how to read is one of our first steps.
1.       Goals:
a.       Curriculum should be fun and engaging
b.      There should be good use of all the student’s senses when learning
                                                               i.      Sound, touch, visual, etc
c.       Creativity
d.      Teachers should engage and evaluate students on a one on one basis to ensure that every student is reaching their full capacity.
2.       Evidence
a.       Article on the use of working memory, motivation, and teacher-initiated learning
b.      Working memory: thinking while learning
c.       Teachers should be used as tools for encouraging and inspiring students
d.      Teachers should work so that the students are using their working memory
3.       Relating to the Final Project
For my project, teaching is somewhat important. Essentially, I am trying to teach or provide the means for an individual to learn and understand just what processes are occurring when one bakes. Also, through video postings of demonstrations I can demonstrate the processes that I have written about. That way my audience has both a visual aid from the video and a logical description from my writings.


No comments:

Post a Comment